Thursday, 14 April 2016

The new brown

From 2007 to now, all (well, almost all) CBe books have had brown card covers. These, as the website puts it, ‘allude with respect and thanks to the paperback London Magazine editions published by Alan Ross in the late 1960s and early 70s’ – a series designed by Ron Costley, who I’ve written about here before and who died last year. For a number of reasons – a main one being that I don’t want to be limited to printing with a printer who carries the brown card as regular stock – I want to change.

Alan Ross also published a hardback series. Here are three off the shelves: Bernard Spencer (1965), Tony Harrison (1970; ‘Loiners’, by the way, are people from Leeds, as I am); Tomas Transtromer (1972; translated by Robert Bly).



Keeping the Alan Ross and Ron Costley link, here (below) is what I’m thinking of for the new look. As before, usually no cover image (but yes if appropriate). First print runs of a new title will have flaps, reprints probably not. All new titles like this; and any existing titles that run out of stock and that I’d like to keep in print will move into this design. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

JRSM said...

They look good! Though please have Unfinished Ode to Mud do a line-break after 'Ode', not 'to'!

billoo said...

Like the design but the choice of colour combinations makes me feel slightly queasy.

Beverley Bie Brahic said...

Looks great to me. Have you looked at the design of City Lights Pocket Poets? Specifically their re-editions of 'Lunch Poems' and 'Howl'? Link: http://www.citylights.com/collections/?Collection_ID=305

Poetry Pleases! said...

Dear Charles

They look fine to me. To quote one of my aphorisms,'You can't judge a book by its content.' My wife and I had a great year together in Leeds when we returned from teaching English in Spain. We lived in Leeds 6, near Hyde Park.

Best wishes from Simon R. Gladdish

Fiona Moore said...


I do like them, and they are distinctive. And I can see that you might want/need to move on. I love the brown covers, though. Bicoloured CBe would be slightly less likely to win my best stall prize (in-the-mind prize, that is) at the poetry book fair. It might help you to discount my vote if I say that I often wrap presents in brown paper with sellotape in a single strong colour.