Friday, 18 September 2026

Newsletter September 2026


Last night – Thursday – we celebrated publication of The Fall by Penelope Curtis at John Sandoe’s bookshop (above). The book, set in one small village in Lincolnshire but over a large span of time, features a very young Isaac Newton, a 19th-century vicar who attempted to climb the Matterhorn, and David Niven and his mother-in-law. With walk-on roles by Nikolaus Pevsner, author of the Lincolnshire volume in The Buildings of England series, and his wife Lola. On Sunday, 27 September, there will be an author tour (over a distance of around three miles): Penelope Curtis will read at 3 p.m. at Woolsthorpe Manor, birthplace of Isaac Newton, and then at St James’s Church in Skillington, and then at the Methodist hall – all bases covered. Everyone is welcome – all venues close to Grantham. More information about the first reading here.

The CBe edition of Testimony by Charles Reznikoff, all 608 pages of it, has gone to print. A longish piece by me on Reznikoff will be in the imminent new issue of The Little Review (£5 for 176 pages: ridiculously good value). For a reading of the whole of Testimony over three days in a gallery in central London next spring I applied last June for funding (for costs including gallery hire, video-recording, etc.), and I learned this week I didn’t get it. I spent a long time over that application; it was a beautiful application. But the reading will happen.

No comments: