Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Newsletter October 2026


I have a proof copy of Reznikoff, Testimony. It’s the size of a good brick, the kind you might want to throw through the plate-glass window of an investment bank, or the windscreen of an SUV in Mayfair. (I am not advising this: they are made of shatterproof toughened glass.) I’ve been carrying this proof copy around in my bag, showing it to people in car parks who might be interested in my wares.

On the website there is now a page for the book, with links to other places. There’s an essay by me on the book in the new issue of The Little Review – little in price (£5) but otherwise (176 pages) not little at all. The autumn issue:



Reznikoff bought a second-had printing press in the late 1920s and both printed and published (in editions of around 200) many of his own books. ‘No more rejection slips,’ his wife noted. Virginia and Leonard Woolf bought a handpress in 1917 and themselves printed many of the early books published by the Hogarth Press. Below: left, a page from the ledger in which Leonard Woolf recorded sales of Hogarth Press books in around 1920 (from an exhibition at Charleston earlier this year); right, a page from the ledger in which I record sales of CBe books. (A friend over the road, with carpentry machines in his living room, is a great-nephew of Leonard Woolf.)



I have books in boxes. Last week I took a box of books for free to a start-up in Brighton ‘dedicated entirely to independent bands, DIY record labels and small publishers’ – if any other start-up would like some books, email me.

Following her 3-mile author tour in Lincolnshire in September (the birthplace of Isaac Newton, the Anglican church in Skillington, the Methodist Hall), Penelope Curtis will read from The Fall and talk about the vicar and mountain-climber Charles Hudson at the Alpine Club on 10 November – details here.

CBe will have a table at the book fair in Bath on Saturday, 21 November, organised by Peirene Press. Please come.

No comments: