Tuesday 16 August 2011

Amazon marketplace mysteries

Athough I don’t, as mentioned before, subscribe to Amazon’s laughably entitled Advantage scheme for small publishers (because they wouldn’t pay me more than 40 per cent of the cover price, because I’d have to pay them an annual fee for the privilege of letting them do this, etc), I do sell the CBe books on the marketplace pages (click used & new and you’ll find them). But so do others. Where do these places get their copies from? Where, for example, does the ‘collectible’ copy of Days in Nights in W12 come from, ‘signed and inscribed by the author’? I’ve spoken to Jack; he has no memory of doing any signing and inscribing. It’s possible he was drunk at the time.

There are strange items on those marketplace pages. For example: a single new copy (or is it? The seller doesn’t seem too sure: ‘Almost like new’) of Frescoes of the Skull: The Later Prose and Drama of Samuel Beckett, ed. James Knowlson and John Pilling, for sale at £500,000.00. Plus £2.80 delivery.

1 comment:

Ms Baroque said...

I want it. I frescoed a skull only last week and I need something for it to sit on.